Being charged with a DUI can one of the most serious and consequential experiences of a person’s life. A person may be thrown in jail, lose their driver’s license, or walk away with a felony conviction that follows them for the rest of their life. If you or a loved one have been charged with a crime related to driving under the influence, it is important to consult with an experienced and local DUI lawyer immediately to begin building a case.
Why Choose a Local Lawyer?
Regardless of the type of county DUI charges you are facing, there are several benefits to using a local lawyer who specializes in fighting driving under the influence charges and related cases. These benefits include:
- Familiarity with local judges and district attorneys. The individual personalities and preferences of local officials will have a huge effect on your case.
- Knowledge of what arguments and defenses have worked with local courts in the past.
- Ability to offer free DUI legal advice and consultations to people in your area.
- The ability to find loopholes and technicalities in your case that can lead to charges being lessened or completely dismissed.
- Familiarity with subpoenas and other ways to gather information for a defense.
- Attorney-client privilege allows you to be completely honest with your lawyer without them repeating or reporting what you say, giving you a safe and confidential space to discuss your case.
- Availability, as local lawyers can be contacted at a wide range of hours and through a wide variety of means.
These factors will make it easier for you to successfully fight your future in DUI trials and other hearings. Many local lawyers also offer a free consultation to people who have been accused of crimes such as DUI. At this consultation, you can get free DUI legal advice about fighting state and county DUI charges. A free consultation DUI will allow you to begin building a defense that will help you to move on with your life. There is no cost or risk for finding out if a local DUI attorney is the right one for your case.
Do DUI Charges Vary From County to County?
Most laws regarding driving under the influence are made at the state and federal level. However, County and State DUI laws also can affect your case in several ways. In addition to being charged with a crime, you may have to fight a DUI desk ticket in county courts and have hearings with the local department of motor vehicles.
Do DUI charges vary from county to county? Counties have to abide by Federal and State laws. However, they are allowed to add their own charges and punishments. Some counties treat DUIs more harshly than other counties, even neighboring ones in the same state. They may add county DUI charges that increase your fines or jail time. They may have laws that allow them to take away your license or force you into education programs on top of the DUI sentence you face for driving under the influence. However, some counties also have laws allowing the courts to be more lenient with offenders. They may have special programs for people who drive under the influence that allow them to stay out of jail and avoid a lifelong criminal record.
If you have been charged with a DUI desk ticket in county courts or any other consequences for driving under the influence, it is important to get a lawyer who specializes in fighting these types of charges in your area. A local lawyer will know what your options are and how to fight on your behalf. There may even be a free consultation DUI lawyer who can talk to you about your case with no money paid upfront. Getting the right legal assistance can make the difference between being found innocent and services years in jail.
The Consequences of a County DUI
- Time spent in jail or prison for a DUI sentence
- Devastating fines
- Suspension of your drivers’ license, including commercial licenses if you have these
- Hours of volunteer community service
- Completion of DUI education classes
- Drug or alcohol rehabilitation
- Private lawsuits if there were damages or injuries
- A lifelong criminal record that can keep you from getting a job or license later
- Family consequences such as divorce or loss of child custody
- Public shame
While driving under the influence is a mistake and a crime, the consequences often far outweigh the damages. These charges can destroy a person’s life, even on the first offense. If this is the second offense or the person already has a driving or DUI record, the courts are even more likely to hand down extreme consequences. A person facing these charges needs help. All people deserve a second chance. An experienced lawyer can give a consultation, help build a defense, and even refer you to free DUI legal services if you qualify.
What to Do If You Are Arrested
Being arrested for DUI charges is one of the most frightening experiences of a person’s life. Despite this, it is important to be level-headed and to act in ways that will positively affect your future case in DUI courts. First, do not give information to police. You are allowed to remain silent even if they continue to question you after you have said you will not answer questions. Be as cooperative and respectful as you can be without giving them information.
Second, call a local lawyer who offers DUI help and defense. You should call the lawyer before you call family or even call for a ride. A lawyer may be able to help you get out of jail more quickly, with lower bail, or even get the charges dropped before you face DUI trials or other hearings. You can ask about affordable or free DUI legal services in jail or have a relative look this up for you.
Third, cooperate with your lawyer and follow their advice. They know how best to approach your case. It is important to cooperate fully with your attorney and legal team so you can more quickly move on with your life.
How Can I Avoid Jail After 2 DUI Charges? Questions to Ask Your Lawyer
A local lawyer who specializes in DUI will be able to answer a variety of questions for you. These include:
- Are there any ways I can get the charges dismissed?
- What are the typical consequences for people with charges and records similar to mine?
- Do I need to file paperwork with the local DMV or other agencies? Do I need to notify my job?
- How can I avoid jail after 2 DUI charges (or more)?
- How can I reduce the impact of these charges on my family and my future?
Your lawyer should be able to answer these questions and give you the DUI help you need to successfully fight your case.
A DUI is a mistake, with consequences that unfortunately can change your entire life. A DUI lawyer is your best friend when you get arrested for driving under the influence or a related charge. They can help you to defend yourself effectively, beat your charges, and get back to your regular life. No one deserves to have their life destroyed by a single mistake. Get an experienced DUI lawyer who can help you get the second chance that you deserve.